If you’re planning a lockdown date night, take a look at this Melt in the Middle Gold Chocolate Fondant recipe by our favourite Firdaus Takolia, to really bring that romantic restaurant vibe to your dining room!
Melt in the Middle
Gold Chocolate Fondants
By Firdaus Takolia
‘These chocolate fondants are a little bit of luxury, perfect for a quarantine date night in. I know many of us are limited to our outings at the moment. In these testing times, it’s still nice to be able to make our evenings feel special with our loved ones at home. This recipe is simple yet dazzles and delights with its molten gold centre. It is easy to prepare ahead of time and bake or reheat when ready to serve.’
Gold Chocolate Ganache Truffles
Make these ahead of time…
- 50ml double cream
- 55g Callebaut Gold Chocolate
- Place the cream in a small saucepan, heat until it just begins to boil.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate, whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and you have a thick glossy texture.
- Refrigerate to allow it to set for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Make the truffles for the fondant filling by taking 2 teaspoons of the ganache mixture and rolling into a ball in your hands.
- 15g cocoa powder
- 55g Callebaut Milk Chocolate
- 55g Callebaut Dark Chocolate
- 110g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing moulds
- 2 eggs
- 80g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Grease 4 deep ramekins/dariole moulds with butter, and dust with cocoa powder, tapping out any excess.
- Place a pan of water on the hob and bring to a gentle simmer. Combine the milk chocolate, dark chocolate and butter in a bowl and place on the pan of water, ensuring the base of the bowl isn’t touching the water. Allow it to melt together, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until thickened and pale in colour.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, whisk until combined.
- Sieve in the flour, and fold in gently using a spatula.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared dishes, just to halfway.
- Place a gold chocolate ganache truffle in the centre of each fondant. Top up with the rest of the chocolate mixture to cover.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes and leave it to rest for 1 minute.
- To serve, demould into serving bowls, pour over warm chocolate sauce, sprinkle over a few Crispearls, and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
These desserts can be made ahead of time! You can either bake, demould and store in the fridge, then microwave for 60 seconds to serve. Or alternatively, prepare the mixtures in the moulds, and store in the fridge until ready to bake!
Play around with flavours… try a delicious pistachio ganache filling by simply adding 1 tsp pistachio paste to your boiling cream before pouring over white chocolate. Or add a few drops of Orange Spice Drops (the zest of one orange) to the fondant mixture to make this a chocolate orange treat!
Quick Gifts & Treats
If you’re looking for something simple yet meaningful…
Not a pro baker or dessert creator, and just simply love chocolate? That’s just fine; we have something for you! Our Red Foiled Milk Chocolate Hearts make the perfect gift for a loved one, or to snack on yourself… Made from solid Swiss milk chocolate, they’re melt-in-the-mouth delicious and also come in a gold foiled version too. For a simple yet effective gift, try putting some into our Valentine’s Day Bag and tie with a Red Twist Tie Bow, or get creative with our Sweet Heart Ribbon!